Total Pageviews

Monday, October 8, 2012


Some of us are born rebellious. Reading the story of Zelda Fitzgerald by Nancy Milford, I identified with her mutinous spirit. I remember passing shopwindows with my mother and asking why people didn’t just kick them in. She explained that there were unspoken rules of social behavior, and that’s the way we coexist as people. I felt instantly confined by the notion that we are born into a world where everything was mapped out by those before us. I struggled to suppress destructive impulses and worked instead on creative ones. Still, the small rule-hating self within me did not die….
…When I told [Sam Shepard] I sometimes had the impulse to put my foot through a window, he just said, ‘Kick it in, Patti Lee. I’ll bail you out.’…

Patti Smith, Just Kids

No comments: